Monday 31 December 2012

My 2012 Season Review Part 1



What a season it has been! We've seen 7 different winners in the first 7 races, Alonso and Ferrari fooling us all and Kimi handed out some more ice creams. The reason why this is coming so late is because I never knew how successful this blog was going to be! For this, I thank you all.

The 9 awards have been carefully selected by my wonderful self by watching extensive footage of the 2012 season. I'll be naming the 2 runner ups before the winner of each award so you have an idea of how difficult the choices were. Here are the first 5 awards, please join me for Part 2 where I'll name the rest of the winners!

The first award goes to the driver who came out with the funniest line that made me laugh out loud hard. Here are the runners up for the Quote Of The Year Award.


Sergio Perez
"He is a driver who does not respect [others]. Doesn't he know we are risking our lives? He's just a stupid driver."
Regarding the incident where Pastor Maldonado took him out of the race at Silverstone. This made me laugh so hard at first but at the time highlighted a serious issue, he was a very dangerous driver who does not think. Nonetheless, Checo was spot on!


Mark Webber

"It was that first lap nut case Grosjean again."
Mark the Shark hitting out at his premature retirement at the hands of the maniac Grosjean. The thing is, if you asked Mark the same question today, he'd still give the same answer, proving it wasn't in the heat of the moment. Rather, it was an accurate assessment of a dangerous driver who had a ban not so long ago.



And the award goes to...
KIMI RAIKKONEN

Could it honestly be anybody else? Being a DIE HARD Iceman fan, I watched the Abu Dhabi GP on the edge of my seat, breaking out in sweats and fits of fear. Then, with one quick, smooth radio transmission, I knew he was going to go on to win the race. This is actually a picture of the shirt I own, I love him so much and he completed my season by winning the race, and giving us all something to remember it by.


Also, this happens to be one of the funniest interviews he's ever given and nearly made the cut.


The Rookie Of The Year Award goes to the driver who impressed me on his first season at the top of Motorsport. Before I announce the winner, here's the runner up.


Charles Pic

To be fairly honest, it was between him and the eventual winner. And Pic lost. Without going in to detail why, read my previous blog on my feelings about Pic.



And the award goes to...


Jean-Éric Vergne

Considering his team mate Ricciardo had the biggest hype about him, JEV has came into the sport and not only stole the spotlight, he also secured his seat with the Red Bull feeder team Toro Rosso. Out scoring his team mate by 6 points and showing he could race wheel to wheel with cars near the same capability as his own, Vergne has proved he belongs in the sport.





The next award goes to the driver who made that jaw dropping pass. You know, the one that made you exude vast amounts of swear words? Yep that one. I watched a ton of Youtube videos to make a short list for this category, and even then it took me hours to come up with a top 3. The first of our 2 runners up is maybe debatable but other than that the one after and the winner are well deserved, some would say they could even be swapped around. Here are your runners up for Overtake Of The Year.

Lewis Hamilton, Canada. The moves on both Vettel and Alonso may not have been the flashiest, but it was the fact he was in a different pit window, he was 6 seconds behind and he still managed the win. The video also contains a double overtake by Sergio Perez.

Felipe Massa, Singapore. This makes the list purely for one reason. The move could either have gone as it did, scary, dodgy but really cool looking. OR, it could have ended in a massive crash and Felipe's expulsion from the team. He held it well and it payed off. To be honest, it was Rob Smedley's facial expression after it that made it for me.


And the award goes to...
KIMI RAIKKONEN, SPA. The King of Spa may not have won, but he certainly proved with this overtake on the illustrious Eau Rouge corner that he is more than deserving of the crown. Kimi doesn't just pass drivers because there's a gap or slipstream, he overtakes after evaluating every situation with precision. He knew he could only get Michael at that [articular time so he'd have the DRS to escape a retaliation. The man is a genius, no way around it.


This next award is quite personal, and is only based on my emotions. My Moment Of The Year Award goes to the one time in the season where my heart strings were well and truly tugged. The runners up included the Japanese chanting Kamui Kobayashi's name and God himself, Michael Schumacher achieving pole at Monaco. I firmly believe if he hadn't been so foolish at the race before to receive a grid penalty, he would have won. But that's neither here nor there, my moment of the year belongs to this photo:

VALENCIA PODIUM, SCHUMACHER 3RD, RAIKKONEN 2ND, ALONSO 1ST. This picture contains the three greatest drivers of my generation. They also happen to be my 3 favourite drivers and even though I'm heartbroken to see Schumacher go, this memory will last with me forever.




Grand Prix Of The Award is the title given to the race where I felt had the most excitement and enough action to lay a mark in history. For me personally, the winner was a no brainer and I'll explain why, but it was the runners up that was so difficult! I had 17 amazing Grand Prix's to chose from (India & Singapore do not count as they are pure filth) and I really do wish I could give them all a place. But here are the runners up.


Malaysian Grand Prix 
I will never forget the moment when I heard the result. Neither will my partner, she still has the bruise from where I went mental. I could not believe that after the pre season disaster, Alonso had managed a win in a Ferrari. It's also hard to disagree with the fact that this made people sit up and look at Perez.




Brazilian Grand Prix 
Interlagos never fails to disappoint as the season closer. This year with the title closer to the wire than ever before, it threw us a massive blast of hope when Vettel spun on the opening lap thinking he won't gain another title based on the Newey factor. Regardless of the fact he did, I still loved every second, including Hulkenberg storming to the front, and Kimi getting completely lost.


But the winner has to go to the greatest experience of my life;


BRITISH GRAND PRIX
The reason why this is my winner is because it was my first Formula 1 event live. I have never experienced anything like it. To say I saw 6 world champions race on the same grid that day honestly impacted my life in only positive ways. The rain wasn't enough to get my spirits down, it added to the occassion because it's not British without rain! I was standing at Luffield on race day and witnessed Bastard Maldonado taking out Checo, Kimi chasing down the pack constantly and the best moment of the weekend, Webber's overtake on Alonso. I was routing for Alonso the whole weekend, but I cannot deny how great the move was. It wouldn't have been the same without the group of guys I was with so to Stephen, Cillein & Patrice I'd like to say thank you very much!


Well I hope you enjoyed the first set of awards. I'm sure you each have your own opinions and I would very much like to hear about them in the comments below, or on twitter @Houston60.

Here is a recap of the awards, and what awards you can expect to see soon:
QUOTE OF THE YEAR: KIMI RAIKKONEN "LEAVE ME ALONE! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING"

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: JEAN-ÉRIC VERGNE

OVERTAKE OF THE YEAR: KIMI TAKES SCHUMACHER AT EAU ROUGE

MY MOMENT OF THE YEAR: VALENCIA PODIUM

GRAND PRIX OF THE YEAR: BRITISH GRAND PRIX

The awards in Part 2:
HERO OF THE YEAR
VILLAIN OF THE YEAR
TEAM OF THE YEAR
DRIVER OF THE YEAR

No comments:

Post a Comment