Sunday 20 January 2013

Toto Weird Turn Of Events

"I just dread to think that a Motorsport lover will be replaced with somebody with money in their eyes" - My words from my blog on Norbert Haug's exit



I have to say, it doesn't take very much to confuse me but one of the biggest mind boggles I have ever come across is the world of business. So it's safe to say when the news about Toto Wolff apparently leaving his Williams post for Mercedes emerged, I scratched a hole in my head.

I'm not entirely sure about how confirmed it is, but my rule is if Autosport report it, it's probably right. To read their report, click here

It was to my understanding that he was going to become Sir Frank Williams successor, a move which I believe would have ushered in a new era of success at the team but it's not likely to be.

The more and more I learn about him, the more and more I start to like him. If he takes up the role, he'll effectively be replacing Nobert Haug who left Mercedes via mutual consent in December 2012. If you have been reading my blog you'll recall I wrote a piece on Haug's departure. If not, click here to read it.

It seems as though my fear has come true. At the end of the day, Wolff's a business man at heart ironically owning shares in Haug's DTM. How much will this affect the racing? My prediction, a lot.

Mercedes seem to be building a monopoly of total dominance: Once Schumacher was out of the way they started reshuffling the pack. They get rid of Haug and replaced him with Wolff, that covered the business end of things. It's a widely known fact that Niki Lauda is associated with the team, this covers the face and voice of Mercedes as he's a well known and respected character (I personally am a Hunt man but that's another story). And of course the biggest aspect to me and to the fans is the racing. Who did the team get to cover that? A man who many consider the quickest and best in Formula 1 at this current time. Lewis Hamilton has the racing covered.

Mercedes certainly have a hand to go all in with, but my guess is we won't see it this year. I think they'll break everyone in to their roles and quietly develop the revolutionary new engine for the season after. Then they spring their trap and complete a power shift, and as a factory team they, along with Ferrari and Lotus (Renault previously but they still have the factory relationship) will become the real power houses in the game. 

A new era is dawning and whatever anybodies opinion, there's no denying that Mercedes are certainly looking towards the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment